The Foster Grandparent Program serves Johnson, Jones, and Linn Counties and provides intergenerational opportunities for mature adults to mentor children in schools, community centers and day cares. The heart of the program is the one-on-one daily attention the Foster Grandparents provide the children. By touching the lives of the children they serve, Foster Grandparents also profoundly enrich their own lives.
- 84% of the elementary aged children served increased their reading participation
- 91% of the elementary aged children served improved their reading skills
- 82% of the Head Start children served increased their attention span
Who can become a Foster Grandparent?
- Men or Women age 55 and above
- Individuals who enjoy working with children
- People whose annual income falls within the program guidelines.
- Those who are willing to put in 15-40 hours per week
What are the benefits of becoming a Foster Grandparent?
- Hourly tax-free money to cover the cost of serving
- Transportation reimbursement
- A daily meal
- Annual physical examination
- Supplemental accident & liability coverage while serving
- Paid holidays & Paid time off
- Pre-service orientation & additional monthly training
- Annual Recognition Banquet to celebrating your invaluable service
Foster Grandparent Testimonial
“This program has made a huge impact on my life. It gives my life meaning and gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning. I look forward to going to the site and hearing, ‘I love you Grandma!’ It makes it all worthwhile!”
- Grandma Effie